Thursday, April 26, 2012

Gearing Up Next Year

Since it's almost the end of the year, I have been trying to get myself thinking about how I should prepare for next year. So many things have been floating through my mind that a list is going to made soon before I forget half of my ideas or ambitions. 

One of things that I really want to do is do a better job reaching my students. There has been a huge culture shift at my school that seems to have happened overnight. One thing my school did as a whole is read Ruby Payne's Understanding Poverty to help us understand our children's culture a little better; however, I was not in that particular book study (I lead a different one). So I decided that I would get some books for me to read over the summer to help me make some plans while I have a break from graduate classes. Here are the books that I ordered (maybe you all can tell how well you liked them and how they helped you):

 
                   Teaching with Poverty in Mind: What Being Poor Does to Kids' Brains and What   Schools Can Do about It
                                                            Eric Jensen

     Regenia Rawlinson


Donna Walker Tileston, Sandra K Darling


3 comments:

  1. I saw a presentation by Eric Jensen recently and my school is going through the video for the book you ordered. We are only about 20 minutes in but it is fascinating to me! He talks a lot (in the video) about brain chemistry and how children in poverty react to stress. Keep us posted on what you are thinking while you read!

    Julie
    Light A Fire in Third

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds just perfect for my school situation! I ordered the books tonight, so they will be here soon!! I can't wait to "hit the books" ;) Maybe Eric Jensen has a website; I will have to check it out.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete