Thursday, May 31, 2012

Students are Gone But Class is Still in Session

I'm officially free from students and my teacher workdays are over. We all know what that means.....SCHOOL'S OUT!! Each year, I am always glad to see the year end, but it doesn't mean that work is over for me :) This is the time where I feel free to explore changes that I want to make for next year in order to become a better teacher and meet the needs of my new little lovelies. Most people go on their vacations, spend time with their families, or just relax for a few weeks first; however, I am more of "lets keep the ball rolling while I'm still in school mode".

Here are a few of my goals that I want to accomplish during my summer break:

  • Become more familiar with my students' mindset--In a previous post (Gearing up for Next Year) I mentioned three books that I purchased that focused on teaching students in poverty. I have been finding myself wanting to know why my students act the way they do and since a lot of them are in poverty, so these books are to help me know what I can do for them. Already started reading Eric Jensen's Teaching with Poverty in Mind and I am excited about what I am reading!
  • Change behavioral/homework plans--I just felt that my behavior management could be better; therefore, I am changing to the Clip Chart system. This way my students  can be rewarded for their behavior as well as having appropriate consequences for misbehaviors. For homework, I am going to use Homeworkopoly. I know that a lot of teachers are using this in order to get students to do their homework, and my students need as much help as possible.
  • Revamp reading stations--I just feel that my station time could be better. The feeling of disorganization during this time had been STRESSFUL! So, I am going to make a plan that more suits my students and my personality. 
  • Math in general because of BIG changes--This is the biggest change of all since our whole district is changing over to Math Investigations. The change is VERY exciting since I teach using the Investigations methods anyway; however, I have not followed the curriculum. So, I have some scheduling things to work out, how I want to organize all the materials that I am getting from the AMSTI people, and how I want to communicate to the parents the changes. I was thinking about posting some math lessons on YouTube as well as having days for the parents to visit my room. What do ya'll think? This also means that I have to make sure that I use math journals (I'm pretty stoked about this)

Join the linking party at Primary Inspired to tell about your goals for next year

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up, Sam! I switched over to the clip chart system this year & loved it! I found that it really helped us (both me & my kiddos) focus on the positive. Previously, we used a card system where all students started out on blue & then might have to move their card down for misbehavior. On our clip system, they can move up (as well as down), & are SO excited about clipping up! I think you'll really like the clip system.

    I'm also targeting math instruction as one of my goals. Several other bloggers & I are hosting a book study of Guided Math (Laney Sammons). Click back over & check out the book. You might be interested in hosting some of the book study too! Let me know if you are!

    Primary Inspired

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to start this new Clip Chart system and knowing that it works for so many others is a comfort to me. I would love to host a chapter! The book is going to be perfect for me since I am going to be dealing with a new curriculum and have to figure out some things.

      Delete