Thursday, June 20, 2013

This Teacher Needs Your Help

Over the past few days I have been attending the Mid-South Reading and Writing Conference/Institute. It has been a great experience learning more about how to make writing and reading (specifically vocabulary instruction) more meaningful and fit into the Common Core.

One of the discussions was about the lack of at home libraries of children from poverty or low-income homes. We all know that children in these circumstances have smaller vocabulary than children from higher social-economical homes. Some of this comes from the lack of reading at home. I know that there are other reasons too, but this is a problem that we can fix. The way that we can fix this is to build the child's at home library. We expect these children to read every night, but they don't have the books to do this. They might not have someone that can take them to the library; life is just about surviving, it's not about going to the library. So what can we do to build their libraries??? Well, we can get these books donated.

I have included 2 different representations showing the importance of having students read EVERYDAY for 20-30 minutes.
From Perry Public Schools
From The High-Tech Teacher


There is a point to all of this, I promise......

I would LOVE to be able to have those of you in the blogging world to help me out here. Many of my students (not all, but many) do not have the books at home to become successful, to build their language and vocabulary. My goal this year is to be able to give EVERY student at least one book every 2 months, but I do need your guys' help! This blog might not be the most popular, most read, but I do know that teachers know how to get the word out even for tiny little blogs like mine! So yes, I am begging you to please help build students' at home library by sending books that you think little 3rd graders would love to read!!

Just let leave me a comment with your email address if you are interested and I will get you the information that you need! I hope that you all will get the word out to help my little lovelies!!


1 comment:

  1. Love your post about the importance of reading every night. I'm going to the Alabama TpT meet up next Saturday. I hope to meet you there!
    Susan Morrow


    Keep 'em Thinking!




    ReplyDelete