Friday, February 10, 2012

Me on the Map

Trying to get my kids to understand that Alabama is NOT a county has been like pulling eye teeth, so I decided to do my own version of "Me on the Map". Since I don't have the book, there was a lot of making things up as I went along. However, I would like to give a big shout out to Google Earth for helping me make everything more visual. With each step, we would type in our "destination" and Google Earth would zoom in. This really helped everyone go from big picture down to little picture. By the end of the mini unit, everyone is now able to tell me that we live in the STATE of Alabama which is part of the COUNTRY United States of America. 



While trying to get this completed, I undertook a giant task for one of my graduate classes...I brought it to work with me. Since one of our schools was damaged from storms recently, my class project was to organize a supply drive. Well my school went through something similar last year so my school did extra well collecting--this made me very stressed trying to get everything loaded to take to my contact person. Here are pictures just from MY grade level (I had 5 other grade levels to load too). The kids had so much fun bringing in the stuff and really wished the children in the other area well; it melted my heart.



3 comments:

  1. Hi Sam I just found your blog. Cute blog! We do me on the map too...pretty much the same way. It's so good for the kids. COme visit me sometime I am a new blogger too - just started this month and still have a lot to learn. :o/
    Vicky :o)
    Traditions Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Now they at least refer to their state as their state and not their country, ha ha ha. I will definitely check out your blog! I am a total blog stalker :) I'm taking a break for Lent but will be back up and running afterwards, can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog and find it such a blessing. =)

    I am your newest follower and would love for you to visit me when you get the chance!

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete